Monday, November 12, 2012

ys_simple_skin_phen released! (en)

Hi.

Few days ago, I finished and published my personal work, "The Terminator". In this work, I try to learn lots of stuff. One is the skin shading. Now, I finished my custom mentalray skin phenomenon shader, and I am happy to share it to you guys. :)
The initial concept is from a talented artist who is Tony Reynolds. He has a great discussion which is about skin shading on the CG FEEDBACK website. You can find the discussion here.

The main point is to get a nice "color bleeding" effect in the skin shader. The practical theory is from SIGGRAPH 2007, the "Efficient Rendering of Human Skin" by Eugene d'Eon. Now, you can find the similar effect in the maya2013 mentalray misss_fast_shader2, mentalcore core_sss_color_bleed and VRayFastSSS2.

For the ys_simple_skin_phen, I combined the original mentralray mia_material_x and misss_fast_skin_maya shaders together, then rewrite it. In my skin phenomenon, you can easily use it and quickly get a nice, more realistic skin result. Simple and efficient.



How to install:
1.unzip ys_simple_skin_phen_v.1.0.zip
2.Copy "ys_sinmple_skin_passes" and "ys_simple_skin_phen" frome include folder to your mentalray include folder.
   e.g. C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2011\mentalray\include
        C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2013\mentalray\shaders\include
3.Copy "AEys_simple_skin_phenTemplate" and "ysSimpleSkinPassesTool" frome scripts folder to your script folder.
   e.g.C:\Users\(your name)\Documents\maya\2013-x64\scripts
4.Copy "mentalrayCustomNodeClass" frome others folder to your others folder, then overwite the original(I recommand you to backup the old one first).
   e.g. C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2011\scripts\others
        C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2013\mentalray\scripts
5.Copy two files frome icons folder to your icons folder.
   e.g. C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2011\icons
        C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2013\mentalray\icons
6.Start Maya, now you can see the skin phen and skin phen passes in th hypersader/mentral ray/materials tab. For the passes tool, just type "ysSimpleSkinPassesTool" in your script editor.



How to use:



Render passes formula:
simple:
Beauty = (SSS * Color) + diffuse_result + indirect_result + spec_result + refl_result + ambient_result
complete:
Beauty = ((deepSSS + midSSS + shallowSSS + backSSS) * Color )+ (diffuse_level * (diffuse_raw + (indirect_raw * ao_raw))) + (spec_level * spec_raw) + ( refl_level * refl_raw) + ambient_result


Note:
*If you used gammaCorrect node rather than color management to set up your linear workflow, then you must change the render pass mode to "pass through" mode. You are not encouraged using ysSimpleSkinPassesTool to output multi passes, since it will get something unexpected result.

*If you got something like "black hole" result when you are rendering with maya2009SP1, then please break your ShadowShader slot in the skin ShadinEngine.








Yin Shiuan
2012/11/12



4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Yin Shiuan, I saw your presentation, the feeling is very good, I also very much like to experience your tools, this is why a failure of the link, so I couldn't download tools, can write these tools you sent to my email? I'm very grateful to you, thank you very much, my email: flynn.lee@foxmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.
    The link is working. I can download it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Yin Shiuan, I'm currently using your "ys_simple_skin_phen" shader and its amazing!! but I was wondering if there was a way add the Refraction features of the "mia_material" like you did for some parts of the shader. This will be great and it will help a lot if you can help me with this. Thanks in adv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi.
    I'm glad to hear that my shader is helpful for you. The refraction feature was considered before. But, since the performance issue(MR SSS is not so good with refraction feature), I was decided to remove this feature.
    Because this is an old stuff. I'll recommend you to try mila material now if you are using mental ray. Or, maybe you can try different renderer like Arnold. :)

    Best.

    ReplyDelete